Today the, now first place, Mets (15-13, 1st in NL East) will host the Pittsburgh Pirates (12-18, 6th in NL Central, 6.5 GB) at 1 PM.
- RHP Livan Hernandez (2-1, 5.53 ERA) will start for the Mets.
- RHP Ian Snell (1-4, 4.50 ERA) gets the start for the Pirates.
- Mets on 6 game win streak.
- Only 1 catcher with Castro hurt.
- Ryan Church in huge slump.
I will not be writing up a postgame report because I wasn’t able to watch most of the game and if was not a good game for the Mets. I will write this though:
- Livan Hernandez gave up 5 runs in 5 innings of work.
- Sean Green gave up 5 runs in 2 innings of work.
- Anyone who thought that Livan has constituency was really wrong.
- Livan is not a very good pitcher.
- The Mets bullpen can’t be trusted other than Franky and Putz.
- The Mets did almost rally to come back in the 8th but it wasn’t enough.
Today the Mets (4-5, 4th in NL East) will be hosting the Milwaukee Brewers (3-6, T-Last in NL Central) at 7:10 at Citi Field.
In today’s Daily Scouting Report, I will talk about what it would be like if Jackie Robinson was still alive.
- He would be 90.
- Most likely, Major League Baseball would not have retired his number on every team.
- Most likely, Citi Field doesn’t have a Jackie Robinson Rotunda,
- He would be harassed by the media today.
- African Americans probably wouldn’t play in any sport which would make basketball very different.
- Hispanics might not be allowed in the MLB which would mean that:
- No Jose Reyes
- No Johan Santana
- No Franky Rodriguez
- No Carlos Delgado
- No Oliver Perez (who I still trust)
- No Livan Hernandez
- No Carlos Beltran
- No Gary Sheffield
W- Livan Hernandez (1-0)
- After taking early BP with Jerry Manual, Luis Castillo goes 4 for 4.
- Jose Reyes hit his first home run of the year.
- The Mets were 5 for 14 with runners in scoring position (.357) which is much better then the previous day at 1 for 10 (.100).
- Livan Hernandez was good. Here is his line:
|L Hernandez (W, 1-0)||6.2||6||2||2||3||4||0||99-62||2.70|
- Brian Stokes then pitched to one batter and gave up a hit. He was then relieved by Pedro Feliciano who finished the inning.
- Darron O’Day then pitched a good 8th inning but struggled in the 9th so they brought in Franky Rodriguez in a non-save situation and he got the job done.
- This was the first game for the Mets this year that a starting Pitcher went 6 or more innings.
Now on TV, Reyes drives in Castillo. 1-0 Mets.
Nice catch Wright and then the dive for the double play.
Razor Shines should have sent Beltran. Schneider ended the inning with a ground out on thenext play.
Wow. Castillo is actually 2 for 2.
2 run home run JOSE REYES
JOSE JOSE JOSE JOSE. JOSE. JOSE
Double play Livan is out of it but Reyes is limping after Emilo Bonafacio slid into him. THis will be big if he is hurt. Uh Oh.
Castillo is somehow 3 for 3 and drove in Church. Castillo took early BP with Jerry Manual before today’s game. Jerry said that he was taking too many pitches.
Marlins on the board by a pinch hit by Wes Helms. Livan’s day is done. 6 2/3, 1 run (2 on base), 6 hits, 3 walks, 4 strikeouts.
Bonafacio gets a hit and Stokes comes out. Normal Jerry although it is Willie style.
Feliciano comes in and gets the job done. To the 8th.
RBI hit for Wright. 7-2 Mets.
Copied from Mets.com