Today the, now first place, Mets (15-13, 1st in NL East) will host the Pittsburgh Pirates (12-18, 6th in NL Central, 6.5 GB) at 1 PM.
- RHP Livan Hernandez (2-1, 5.53 ERA) will start for the Mets.
- RHP Ian Snell (1-4, 4.50 ERA) gets the start for the Pirates.
- Mets on 6 game win streak.
- Only 1 catcher with Castro hurt.
- Ryan Church in huge slump.
On Wednesday, manager Jerry Manual made a interesting move in batting Daniel Murphy 3rd with Carlos Delgado hurt. Wednesday’s lineup was this:
Wright or Beltan
Today the Mets won in dramatic fashion against the Brewers at Citi Field.
- The Mets scored 3 runs in the first inning.
- Gary Sheffield hit home run number 500 in his career and was the first Mets player to ever hit their 500th career home run in a Mets uniform.
- In the 9th, Carlos Delgado leads off with a double. Then Carlos Beltran strikes out. Then Ryan Church is intentionally walked which brings up the catcher, Omir Santos, who came in when they pinch hit for Castro due to Schnieder going on the DL. Santos hits a ground ball so lightly hit that it isn’t a double play.
- Then Luis Castillo comes up and hits a infield hit to J.J. Hardy and Delgado scores.
- Livan Hernandez was great the first time through the order but ran into trouble in the 5th and 6th. He gave up 4 runs through 5+.
- The bullpen didn’t give up a run after that.
- It only took J.J. Putz, 11 pitches to get through the 9th and earn the win.