Last night the Mets extended there 4 game win streak to 5 games as they beat the Pirates at Citi Field by a score of 7-3.
- The Mets broke the 2-2 tie in the 8th by scoring 5 runs.
- In the 8th, Reyes led off with a single. Then Castillo walked on 4 pitches. Then Beltran singled to score Reyes to take the lead. Then Delgado hit a 3 run homer. Then Wright gets out but Murphy doubles and Santos drives him in.
- Every Met (including the pitcher Jonathan Niese) had at least one hit other then David Wright.
- Jonathan Niese started and pitched well through 6. Here was his line:
IP H R ER BB SO HR PC-ST ERA J Niese 6.0 7 2 2 0 5 0 95-67 3.00
- Sean Green and Ken Takahashi combined to pitch a good 7th.
- Bobby Parnell pitched a good 8th and got the win.
- Then in the 9th with a 5 run lead J.J. Putz put himself into trouble but got out of it with only 1 run allowed.
Today the Mets lost in 10 innings at Citizen’s Bank Park to the Phillies by a score of 6-5.
- Daniel Murphy was 1 for 2 with a home run.
- Ramon Castro followed his home run with one of his own and was 2 for 3 but was taken out as Omir Santo pinch ran for him.
- Carlos Delgado was a pinch hitter and walked so it doesn’t look like he will be going to the DL. After Delgado walked they had pitcher John Maine pinch run for him so he must really not be able to run the bases since they brought a pitcher in to run for him.
- Bad Ollie showed up and went only 2 and 1/3 innings before being taken out. Hre was his line:
IP H R ER BB SO HR PC-ST ERA O Perez 2.1 5 4 4 6 2 0 77-36 9.97
- Ken Takahashi relived him and went 2 and 2/3 innings giving up no runs.
- Pedro Feliciano then came in and blew the 5-4 lead when he gave up a solo homer to Raul Ibanez.
- Bobby Parnell then pitched a very good inning and J.J. Putz then threw 2 good innings.
- In the 10th the Mets brought in Sean Green who put runners on 1st and 2nd with on out. Then got a strikeout. Then a walk to load the bases. Then he went down in the count 2-1 to Shane Victorino. Got him to swing at one in the dirt to even up the count. Then he threw one way outside and then he blew the game, giving up ball 4 high with the bases loaded, so the Mets lose.
I will not be writing up a postgame report because I wasn’t able to watch most of the game and if was not a good game for the Mets. I will write this though:
- Livan Hernandez gave up 5 runs in 5 innings of work.
- Sean Green gave up 5 runs in 2 innings of work.
- Anyone who thought that Livan has constituency was really wrong.
- Livan is not a very good pitcher.
- The Mets bullpen can’t be trusted other than Franky and Putz.
- The Mets did almost rally to come back in the 8th but it wasn’t enough.
In my post today about Wagner, I said that Wagner was throwing today. The question is: How will he do and in what roll?
- Wagner most likely won’t be with the team next year and wants to prove that he is good to other teams.
- (Hopefully more importantly) he wants to win a World Series.
Today at Great American Ballpark, the Mets (2-0) will face the Reds (0-2) at 12:30 PM.
- They will be trying to sweep out the opening series today.
- We are 4 days away from the home opener
- In Oliver Perez’s Carear he is 9-4 against the Reds with a 4.02 ERA.
- If you haven’t noticed, Sean Green has changed his number from 48 to 50.
Today in Cincinnati, the Mets beat the Reds 2-1.
- Daniel Murphy hit a solo homer and then later drove in the 2nd run.
- Ryan Church was 2 for 4 with a stolen base.
- Carlos Delgado was 2 for 4 with a walk.
- As a team the mets left 12 men on base. (not good)
- Johan Santana went 5 2/3 innings giving up 3 hits, 1 run, struck out 7 but walked 4. He was removed after throwing 99 pitches.
- Sean Green relived Johan and threw a perfect 1 1/3 innings.
- J.J. Putz then pitched the 8th. He walked 11 and struck out 1.
- K-Rod (but would like to be called Franky Rodrigez) pitched a perfect 9th, striking out 1 and earning his first save.